Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Is Lost A Christian Themed Show?

I am deeply addicted to the now off air show, LOST, watching and renting each season. I have been watching about three episodes a day and I am now in the middle of the 5th season. I cannot believe how many amazing historical, cultural, and most interesting to me, biblical references I find in the show. My memory of a lot of things is probably a bit fuzzy since I watched the seasons a bit back, but here is some things I've noticed. Culturally, there are SO many references, probably many that I won't even remember to list here, but some of which are: Lord of The Flies-Sawyer references this while in jungle Tom Sawyer-The name Sawyer chose for the man who "killed" his parents The brothers Karamazov-Locke gives this book to Ben while in the hatch Harry Potter-Hurley makes fun of Sawyer in his new glasses Boston Red Sox-Win World Series to convince Jack Disneyworld- Sawyer says he's never been to Disneyland. Kate does not drink, to which Sawyer replies, "Now, that's sad." OK theres a TON more but I am more interested in the christian references. This show is so genius with the cultural references. RELIGIOUS References Ok, obviously, the big one is the whole Locke and faith in the island thing. The whole series is based on Jack's facts vs. Locke's faith. The two battle over purpose vs. coincidence and faith vs. fact. Eventually, in my opinion, Jack figures out the the island IS in control and that he is a pawn to it, in a way. Not only is on of their main characters, Mr. Eko, who is a priest, but the very story line tied to him is an almost entire 3 episodes in (I believe) the second season. It involves his growing up in Africa, being taken, and returning to find his brother, Yemi, a priest. He tries to get Yemi to let him fly out a plane full of Virgin Mary statues filled with heroin, and Yemi dies trying to stop him. Eko is mistaken for a priest- and it is assumed he gives his life to God at that point. While on the island, he builds a church, carries a scripture stick, and makes several references to God giving him visions. Also, the cross he takes from Yemi's dead body is very symbolic and a big icon throughout the series until Eko dies. Ben references Doubting Thomas while he is standing in front of the picture of Thomas putting his hand into Jesus' side. He references Thomas' bravery, but tells that he is most known for doubting Jesus resurrection until he could touch his wounds. Also, lets not forget the whole fiasco over Charlie trying to have Aaron baptized. OR Hugo buying his mother a giant Jesus statue made of pure gold... Well, that's my take. I would love to hear more if anyone has any input.

No comments:

Post a Comment