Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Measurement

Ephesians 4:7

But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ. 

So, we live with numbers as our guide, our rule. Time tells where we should be and what we should be doing for that moment. Money tells us our worth to the world. The number of cars we have, how big our house is, what our job pays, well, that is how we are measured by the world..

But what about to God?? We are measured only by the certainty we have in the fact that Christ died for us, and his blood has NO measure. Yet day by day, I feel the strain of numbers given to me by this world and wonder why I never feel good enough.

Its because we never WILL measure up in this world. The smartest person always has someone smarter, there's always someone prettier, wealthier, happier, cooler, whatever. While we can spend our time trying to measure up by investing our money and buying nice things, I think we should focus on the measure of our heart.

In the end, what will matter the most..its such a common, overused "parable" or whatever, but seriously. I look at my life and know that while I may have to pay off college debt, and may be struggling to find my place in this stupid "American dream" I can never let money be my motivation...EVER. Because as far as I'm concerned, the things we can't put a price tag on are truly the greatest things we have. I have seen men beat each other over shoes on the streets of Baltimore...and friendships fall apart right in front of my eyes because of bills, and payments, and pure nonsense.

I just hope I stay lucky enough to never want to chase the American dream...to just be happy with WHO I have...not what. I am determined to never let money come into my life as a factor that keeps me apart from the ones I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment